Saturday, February 13, 2010

We Made Play Dough

I've been looking for projects to do with Greyson. We tired finger painting once - it was a disaster. Then last week we tried Pudding Finger Painting, which was fun but really messy.

So tonight we made play dough. It was a super easy recipe and if he eats some of it - which I'm sure he will - then it's no big deal. I rolled the dough into balls and Greyson squeezed them. We both had fun.

Here is the recipe:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tbs cream of tarter
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 3oz package of gelatin (I used store brand lime gelatin and it came out a beautiful green.)
  1. Pour all the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
  2. Then pour it into a pot over medium/medium low heat.
  3. Stir until it becomes a doughy ball - it will get weirdly clumpy before it balls up.
  4. Dump the ball out on the a cutting board or counter and let cool for a few min.
  5. Once cool enough to touch, knead the dough (you'll want to flour your hands) for a few minutes until elastic.
  6. Enjoy your play dough!
  7. Store in a zip-top bag once cool.

I've got a box of cherry for red, a box of orange for, well orange and wild berry for blue. I just need more cream of tarter before we make the rest.

Bonus: it has a nice scent!

ADDED: Yes, a bunch of it went into his mouth - but since I know all the ingredients I don't worry too much about it. It is really salty to he didn't like how it tasted. It is edible, but gross.

4 comments:

SkinnyMeg said...

What a great idea! Madison would eat it all, hopefully soon she will be big enough to do fun stuff like that!!

Becky said...

OOOOO! I'm saving this. Too much goes into Isaac's mouth right now but this would be fun in the future!

Skip, Stephanie, Emerald, Calvin, and Zachary said...

We love to do this! Should have shared with you, sorry. We also mix in kool-aid instead of jello, but gets the same end result. Sounds like fun. Greyson has such a fun mommy.

wrensmommy said...

thanks!! that sounds like lots of fun! :)